periods & trying to get pregnant

If you have questions about pregnancy, conception and fertility, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Linzi Pinzi

by Linzi Pinzi on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:18 pm

periods & trying to get pregnant

Hi, me and my husband have been trying to conceive our first child. I had been on the contraceptive pill since my teens (im now 26) and i stopped taking it in June 2012 (just after we got married). My cycle was irregular to begin with which i expected, but from august 2013 my cycle settled down and my periods were regular and we had been having unprotected sex every 2-3 days or so. We know that it can take up to a year (if not more) to conceive, however in January 2013 my period did not come...and has still not arrived. I have taken a number of home pregnancy tests but they have all came back negative.I am not quite sure what to do about this, I have spoken to my doctor but he said not to worry until my period is 6 months late...is this normal? I have had some pregnancy symptoms (tired, sick feelings etc) and i keep getting mild cramping in my lower abdomen...but still no period. Should I be concerned at how late I now am? Should i go back to my doctor for assistance? I just feel I that my doctor wasnt interested in my concerns last time and I dont want to feel like im wasting his time...any advice would be appreciated.

Dr Amanda Tristram

by Dr Amanda Tristram on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:15 pm

Re: periods & trying to get pregnant

Any delay in getting pregnant can be a stressful time and often this stress can stop your periods. It's a bit of a viscious circle. It's impossible to be completely reassuring, as it is so difficult to predict who will and who won't get pregnant eventually. There are some useful figure on the NHS website (I've put in the link below), which will hopefully reassure you that you don't need to panic. They show most people in your situation will get preganant. The best thing you can do is to try not to worry about things too much at this stage, whilst making sure you stay fit and healthy. Having said all this, if your sickness and abdominal pain contine, you should go back to see your GP.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Infertilit ... ction.aspx
Dr Amanda Tristram
Senior Lecturer in Gynaecological Oncology

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:52 pm

Re: periods & trying to get pregnant

To be on the safe side, perhaps your GP could refer you for a blood pregnancy test? If negative, and no periods for 6 months, you will need to be refered for hormone tests.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

3 posts