Trying to conceive after 2 years of trying

If you have questions about pregnancy, conception and fertility, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
shauny87

by shauny87 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:19 pm

Trying to conceive after 2 years of trying

Hi there, I am 25 and my partner and I have been TTC for two years now since I had right tube removed, left tube opened up and cysts removed. My consultant at the time told me within 6 months we would be pregnant, which obviously this has not been the case.

I know it takes a while longer to get pregnant with one tube but given my age, I would have thought 2 years it should have happened already. I went to my GP last year who sent me for blood tests to make sure I am ovulating which I was. My partner had 4 semen samples taken and his count was fine but motility was slightly low. Our GP told us to keep trying were young and we have time. Which is very frustrating given the fact that we ARE young and this shouldn’t be taking so long. She isn’t actually helping us.

I guess I want to know what we should do next. I’m spending money every month buying folic acid and vitamins. I don’t drink or smoke I’m at my wits end now.

Dr Amanda Tristram

by Dr Amanda Tristram on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:06 pm

Re: Trying to conceive after 2 years of trying

I think that in your situation, it would be worth revisiting your GP and asking to be referred back to a gynaecologist. It is possible that your remaining tube may be scarred as a result of your previous surgery. If investigations show this is the case, then you will be able to discuss your options for treatment.
Dr Amanda Tristram
Senior Lecturer in Gynaecological Oncology

shauny87

by shauny87 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:12 pm

Re: Trying to conceive after 2 years of trying

Dear Dr Amanda Tristram,

Thank you for your advice, that is exactly what I am concerned about my left tube not being patent . I am going to go back to my GP to seek futher help.

3 posts