History of dodgy smears - when could daughters be tested?

Ask our experts all your questions about smear tests, abnormal smears, cervical cancer etc.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Penelope Pitstop

by Penelope Pitstop on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:42 pm

History of dodgy smears - when could daughters be tested?

Hello - I have had a lifetime of dodgy smear tests resulting in CIN1 and CIN2 - on both occasions I've had to had treatment and I am currently on annual smears.

My girls have both had the HPV vaccine and are in their early teens. Given my history, should I be worried for them even thought they've had the vaccine? I read somewhere that you can't have a smear test until your are in your 20's but given my histroy could I have them tested earlier, ie when they become sexually active? Or am I being paranoid? I would just like them to have to avoid the worry that goes with abnormal smears.

Thank you for any help or advice you can provide.
Penny

Mr Robin Crawford

by Mr Robin Crawford on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:45 pm

Re: History of dodgy smears - when could daughters be tested

Given they have had the vaccine not too much need to worry. Give advice about safe sex as this will help with avoiding other STIs but we are hoping that the vaccine and the early evidence points that way that your daughters will not have to have an special testing - oh by the way no smoking :)
Mr Robin Crawford
Consultant Gynaecological Oncologist

Dr Amanda Tristram

by Dr Amanda Tristram on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:20 pm

I'm pleased to be able to give you good news - the fact that you have had CIN 1 and 2 does not increase you daughters' risk of having the same thing. CIN and cervical cancer do not run in families. CIN is very common, so there is a chance they might get it, but this chance is not increased because you have. The vaccine will prevent about 70% of cervical cancers and at least 50% of CIN. It will not protect against all cancer and CIN, as there are different types of HPV that cause cancer and the vaccine does not protect against all of them. So, when your daughters are called for screening (probably when they are 25) it is important they go.

There is more information about the HPV vaccination on this website. It is quite detailed, but the leaflet is good.
http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsand ... /DH_133345
Dr Amanda Tristram
Senior Lecturer in Gynaecological Oncology

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:09 pm

Although the NHS offers screening at 25+, experts recommend screening within two years of becoming sexually active, and your girls are entitled to ask for this.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

4 posts