How is cervix cancer diagnsis

Ask our experts all your questions about smear tests, abnormal smears, cervical cancer etc.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
s1221rwal

by s1221rwal on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:29 pm

How is cervix cancer diagnsis

Hi advise wanted. Had routine smear, told to go for colpscopy ashad abnormal glandular cells, at colposcopy had 3 biopsy and pictures. Called back to see consultant within 7days who told me he suspected I had early stages cervix cancer which is treatable with cone biopsy or radical hysterectomy but as I was going on holiday
within the next 3 days he postponed treatment and said he will do a loop excision whilst I was there and send this off. Whilst on holiday I had a light bleed for ten days and back pain which I feel was caused by the loop excision as I had a great pad and electrical equipment.
I am confused as I returned from holiday to find 2 letters stating the loop excision biopsy was inconclusive and another saying consultant has booked me in for lletz under general as he wants to do a larger biopsy as results are inconclusive.
I wanted to know how exactly is cervix cancer diagnosised as i am surprised I have any cervix left with all the biopsies taken. Also why did the routine smear show abnormal glandular

Professor Sean Kehoe

by Professor Sean Kehoe on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:29 am

Re: How is cervix cancer diagnsis

sometimes the cells on the tissue samples can be difficult to interpret or there is 'burn' effect from the loop, and I suspect that the next loop is to try and clarify matters. I agree that the pain/bleeding you had on holidays were most likely due to the Loop.
Smears were really used to pick up the 'non- glandular' abnormalities but with time and experience they do occasionally pick up glandular problems.
I would strongly recommened you have the loop as planned

Cervical cancer can be diagnosied in a few ways - but the confirmation is by tissue biopsy. In very early cancers [which may be only a few millimetres in size] the diagnosis is often after a loop whereby nobody had a suspicion of cancer. Other cases there may be a visible abnormality and a tissue biopsy is used to confirm if that is a cancer or not.
Professor Sean Kehoe
MA MD DCH FRCOG

s1221rwal

by s1221rwal on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:20 pm

Re: How is cervix cancer diagnsis

Many thanks for your reply.
I guess it is better to have the lletz under general.
My own feeling is that the tiny growth was disturbed at smear as I have been celibate for many years . This was the first time I bled for several days after a routine smear. The consultant said there was a small growth and the picture taken at colposcopy wasn't clear so he suspected hence he did the loop procedures, he was asking if I had any previous surgery but I had not.
Your reply made sense as it is still at diagnostic stage.

3 posts