Endoctrinology problems and dementias - any connection?

Please ask our experts your general 50+ health questions here or post specific questions in one of the sub-forums below.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Jeannie77

by Jeannie77 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:40 pm

Endoctrinology problems and dementias - any connection?

My mother had pernicious anaemia, and was taken off her medication. A few years later she was diagnosed with Alzheimers. I have recently been diagnosed with Schmidt's Syndrome, and have had a lifelong form of haemophilia (Factor 5 missing) diagnosed only about 5 years ago. Researching Addison's Disease, Hypothyroidism and pernicious aenemia I was rather taken aback to discover that all of them if under treated or not treated at all, can result in dementia/Alzheimers being diagnosed in older people. Some research from the US seems to indicate that these conditions will be fairly common in the elderly, but are simply not looked for. I wondered if it could possibly be the case, that if autoimmune conditions of the endoctrine system, and things like pernicious aenemia were considered, that a percentage of people would not be robbed of a good quality of life in their final years, since they are treatable. A few years before she died, in a home for people with Alzheimers' Disease, mum needed to be taken to hospital for a blood transfusion. Pernicious Aenemia was not looked for, though, despite me asking the home frequently to alert the GP to her condition. Even my haemophilia can cause problems likely to be diagnosed as something else, or if untreated, causing something else - I also have arthritis and menieres disease (my haemotologist reckons both these could have been caused by untreated bleeds before they found my condition),and I suppose a bleed to the brain would lead to memory problems. I know it would not be easy to tease out, but Alzheimer's Diease is hugely expensive (in all kinds of ways, not just financial) for individuals, and society as a whole.

Dr Masud Haq

by Dr Masud Haq on Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:22 pm

Re: Endoctrinology problems and dementias - any connection?

Thank you for your post.

I agree that pernicious anaemia and untreated hypothyroidism can be associated with memory problems.
As a consequence, any patient presenting with memory problems or a possible new case of dementia should have a serum B12 and TSH level checked.

Undiagnosed pernicious anaemia or hypothyroidism are both easily treatable and potentially could help reverse symptoms.

Regards
Dr Masud Haq
Consultant in Diabetes & Endocrinology
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ud_haq.php

2 posts