Itchy eyelids

If you have a question about eye care including sight tests, wearing glasses or contact lenses, cataracts, glaucoma etc, ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
jbutcher

by jbutcher on Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:23 pm

Itchy eyelids

My eyes feel hot and my eyelids feel itchy all the time. The whites of my eyes are not red or anything. Is there anything I can do about this. Many thanks.

Mr James McAllister

by Mr James McAllister on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Itchy eyelids

Hi
Itchy eyelids are a very common symptom but can be exceedingly annoying.
Usually itching when it affects the eyes is the skin around the eye and normally is of an allergic nature.
People who have a tendency to eczema, hay fever or asthma sometimes known as atopic can develop an allergic reaction to any number of things. e.g. shampoo or detergent ,makeup or to the usual pollens or house dust. Finding the source can be difficult and the treatment maybe the use of a mild steroid cream on the eyelids at night plus one of the anti-histamine eyedrops as required. Steroids on or around the eye are used with caution and your GP will usually suggest a check of your eye health with optometrist or eye clinic to exclude glaucoma or viral infection in the eye.
As your eyes are white infection is unlikely so anti-histamine drops maybe sufficient but of course check if symptoms persist .
Many people have mild dry eyes and blepharitis( a fancy name for inflammation of the eyelids) and your chemist or optician can recommend simple treatments .
I hope this helps you in the right direction?
Mr James McAllister
Ophthalmic Surgeon

2 posts