Underactive Tyroid

Are you living with an overactive or underactive thyroid problem? Ask our experts your questions and concerns here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
CaraHelen

by CaraHelen on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:30 pm

Underactive Tyroid

Hello,
For the past year I have been experiencing various symptoms such as; swelling of hands and feet, rapid weight gain - gained aprox 3 stone in a few months yet diet & exercise are same as always - prior this I was skinny. I am constantly cold, very tried and my periods have completely stopped . I went to my GP and she referred me to an Endocrinologist. They did various blood tests discovering my testosterone levels are high and other thyroid hormone levels where low. They then ordered for me to have a Synacthen test, for which I am currently a waiting the results of.
In the mean time however I have been experiencing vision decline over the weeks and random bouts of random multimultiple small involuntary head jerks which have been getting more & more frequent. I am worried and would like to know if you would advise me to contact my GP asap or wait until my next consultation with my Endocrinologist which could be in several months time. Also what could be responsible for such symptoms? Are they thyroid related?

Many thanks, Cara
Last edited by CaraHelen on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Masud Haq

by Dr Masud Haq on Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:29 pm

Re: Underactive Tyroid

Hi Cara

You clearly have a number of symptoms that require careful evaluation and assessment.
Your recent symptoms may be related to a pituitary condition but it's very difficult to be absolutely sure.
I'm not totally convinced they are related to your thyroid.
I would suggest you see your GP first to discuss.

Regards
Dr Masud Haq
Consultant in Diabetes & Endocrinology
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ud_haq.php

2 posts