Allergic to Molybdenum - but not nickel!

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

1 post
issy

by issy on Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:52 pm

Allergic to Molybdenum - but not nickel!

I developed hand eczema just over a year ago and an allergy patch test has now shown I’m allergic to molybdenum and parabens. Parabens are easy to avoid; just read the labels on emollients and creams - keep a magnifying glass handy! But an molybdenum allergy isn’t often mentioned. Like nickel it's found in stainless steel - so I wonder if people who are allergic to nickel might also be allergic to molybdenum?

My eczema is worst on the inner side of my left wrist so was probably triggered by a stainless steel watch bought two years ago - especially from the thin edges on the clasp coming into contact with the delicate skin on the inside of the wrist.

Molybdenum is a trace element found in plants that grow above-ground, eg. nuts, oats, and vegetables such as peas, cauliflower and broccoli. The NHS website - www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals - recommends people allergic to specific minerals take supplements which don’t include those metals.

From research on the net, I found lots of nutritional supplements contain molybdenum, often as sodium molybdate. For years I've used Seven Seas Multibionta 50+ with Probiotics but am switching to "Multibionta Immune" which has no molybdenum. Likewise I’ve switched to organic yeast-free rye bread - and given away my Scottish oatcakes and oatmeal - beakfast will never be the same...