Misshapen head

You can ask our experts about concerns and issues surrounding newborn babies including feeding, sleeping, reflux, unexplained rashes, crying etc.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
monasherif77

by monasherif77 on Tue May 21, 2013 2:54 pm

Misshapen head

My son he is now 4 months,his head is flat from one side?
So please could you advise if it can be treated and how?

karenacoyle

by karenacoyle on Thu May 23, 2013 1:17 pm

Re: Misshapen head

Hello Monasherif77

Thanks for your post about your concern that your 4 month old child's head appears flat on one side.

I would suggest that you get him checked out by your GP to determine if he may need treatment for it or if it is something that may be resolved as he continues to grow.

In the meantime it may help if you try some of the following tips:

Change the position of his cot or alternate which end you put him to sleep each night so that
his head turns away from the flattened side.
If there is something catching your baby’s attention, such as a light or cot mobile, place it on the other side so that he may be encouraged to turn his head in that direction.
If your baby sucks his thumb, try covering the one he prefers to encourage him to turn to the
other side.
Reposition your baby’s head away from the flattened side after he has gone to sleep.

Some tips that you may find helpful during the day include:
At playtime place him on his tummy for play while you you are present to supervise him. This
decreases the time his head spends against a flat surface and may help to allow it to even out as it grows. It also very good exercise for the rest of his body to help prepare him for crawling.
During feeding and play time alternate which side you hold your baby.
Try carrying him in your arms or in a front carrier when out and about rather than in a buggy or pram.

You may also find this NHS link helpful in finding out more about this condition:http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Plagioceph ... ction.aspx

I hope this helps.
best wishes
Briege Coyle
Netmums’ Health Visitor

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _coyle.php

2 posts