Introduce solid foods

You can ask our experts about concerns and issues surrounding newborn babies including feeding, sleeping, reflux, unexplained rashes, crying etc.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
monasherif77

by monasherif77 on Tue May 21, 2013 2:56 pm

Introduce solid foods

My son is 4 months now and I would like to introduce for him rice cereals so could you encourage me;I feed that he is ready and was born over due by one week

karenacoyle

by karenacoyle on Thu May 23, 2013 12:58 pm

Re: Introduce solid foods

Hello Monasherif77

Thanks for posting on the children's health clinic.

It sounds as if your baby is doing well and you are giving some thought to moving him on to solid food. :)

The Department of Health issued guidelines (based on recommendations by the World Health Organisation and UNICEF) in 2003 that weaning should start at 6 months.

The reason for these recommendations is that it is now thought that, in general, a baby's digestive system and kidneys may not be mature enough to cope with a more diverse diet before the age of 6 months.

It is also thought that early weaning can lead to an increase in infections and some allergies such as eczema and asthma.

It is best to wait until your baby is showing signs of readiness for food such as:
having the ability to sit reasonably well and to hold his head steady, show a keen interest in your food - is able to co-ordinate his eyes, hands and mouth to be able to reach out for food and put it in his mouth and
be able to swallow the food without spitting it back out.

Chewing their fists, waking up during the night and wanting more breastfeed/formula feeds are often mistaken for signs of needing to wean but are normal behaviours at this stage and not generally a sign of the need to move to solids.

If you think your child may be ready for moving to solids do consider having a chat with your health visitor for further advice.

In the meantime I hope you don't mind if I signpost you to this NHS link on weaning:
:http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy ... aspx#close

Best wishes
Briege Coyle
Netmums’ Health Visitor

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _coyle.php

2 posts