Eyesight Test?

Ask our experts your questions about health issues with the under 5's including developmental issues, behavioural problems, common childhood diseases, feeding, oral health, sleeping, immunisation, toilet training etc.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
workingmummy

by workingmummy on Mon May 20, 2013 1:19 pm

Eyesight Test?

My 22 month old daughter has been complaining about sore eyes for several weeks now. Occassionally she also complains of a sore head. She doesn't appear to have any discharge from her eyes although has conjunctivitis from time to time - due to rapid spread at nursery.
Should I take her for an eyesight test?

karenacoyle

by karenacoyle on Thu May 23, 2013 1:30 pm

Re: Eyesight Test?

Hello Workingmummy

Thanks for posting on the Children's Health Clinic.

You are concerned that your 22 month old child complains of sore eyes regularly and also complains of headaches on occasions - you wonder if it may be wise to have her checked out by the optician.

In the first instance I would suggest that you get your GP to check her eyes to rule out infection and to review what may be causing the occasional headaches.

If you child is getting frequent bouts of conjunctivitis, possibly from her contact in her nursery, it may help to discuss this with the nursery manager so that she may review hygiene practices by the nursery staff.

It may also help to have a word with your health visitor who may consider referring her to the orthoptist for a review of her vision.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes
Briege Coyle
Netmums’ Health Visitor

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _coyle.php

2 posts