15 year old girl

You can ask our experts questions here that don't fall into one of the categories below.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
JoanneDubz

by JoanneDubz on Mon May 20, 2013 3:38 pm

15 year old girl

I was wondering if its possible for a 15 year old to have ADHD.
My daughter shows all the signs but her schooling isn't affected but at home the signs are there.
She's always been very hyper and hard work but I just thought she was that sort of child but as she's got older she's got harder instead of easier.
Joanne

Dr Amritash Rai

by Dr Amritash Rai on Tue May 21, 2013 10:58 pm

Re: 15 year old girl

Hi,

ADHD can be first diagnosed at any age although symptoms must be present from early childhood (usually before the age of seven). As you may already have read, the symptoms include a combination of inattention, hyperactivity and Impulsive behaviour. These symptoms should be seen in more than one setting (school, home or playgroup etc). Additionally, other causes of challenging behaivour must be ruled out.

I would suggest that you talk things through with your daughter and arrange an appointment with your GP as you will need her on side for any diagnostic process. Your GP may refer you to a Child and adolescent psychiatrist or a community paediatrician depending on what services are available in your area.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Amritash
Dr Amritash Rai
Consultant Child & Adolescent Psychiatrist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sh_rai.php

2 posts