Hypoglycemia in a teenager

You can ask our experts questions here that don't fall into one of the categories below.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
gemnick2530

by gemnick2530 on Wed May 15, 2013 1:18 pm

Hypoglycemia in a teenager

Hi, I have a 14 year old girl that has been diagnosed with hypoglycemia. The doctor has referred her to a paediatrician but as of yet we have yet to receive that appointment despite it being referred over three weeks ago. I have trawled through internet sites, books, forums etc but everything I read seems to contradict the last article that I read. Is there a website/forum etc that you could suggest or even advise me if a paediatrician appointment is the right way to go?

Many thanks

Dr James Thompson

by Dr James Thompson on Fri May 17, 2013 4:45 pm

Re: Hypoglycemia in a teenager

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch.

If the reason for your child's low blood sugars is more than simply them burning off more calories than than they are consuming then it is most likely down to a potential endocrinological (hormonal) or absorption issue. I am presuming that the low blood sugars have been proven by checking blood sugar levels.

How are the low blood sugars affecting her life? Are the hypos happening regularly, is it affecting school, exams? If they are then I suspect seeing a paediatrician would be helpful as they are likely to get to the cause quicker and being more targeted in the enquiries/treatment. However, I would urge your GP to organise some baseline blood tests, possibly under the advice of the paediatrician that would be available for this appointment - this means that they will be a lot further ahead in finding a diagnosis by the time you get to see them.

You might benefit from using choose and book if this service has not been offered to you, it allows you to make decisions on appointments based on waiting times and distance from where you live, you might have to travel further but be seen sooner for example.

Hope that this helps.

Best wishes

Dr James Thompson
www.askdocjames.com
Dr James Thompson

gemnick2530

by gemnick2530 on Fri May 17, 2013 5:10 pm

Re: Hypoglycemia in a teenager

Thank you so much

3 posts