Why am I Retaining Water?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, TheHealthyGutClinic

2 posts
Salboo89

by Salboo89 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:31 pm

Why am I Retaining Water?

Hi,
I’m wondering if anyone has ever experienced similar symptoms to mine or whether anyone can offer any knowledge or advice.
Basically around two years ago I woke up one morning and looked like I had gained a huge amount of weight. My face was so bloated I looked like I had had an allergic reaction. My stomach was also really swollen, as were my legs. I was shocked because I had never experienced anything like this. I went to my doctor who arranged for some blood tests and also a scan of my kidneys. All tests came back clear.
Eventually the swelling went down, but I am now in a position whereby about every couple of weeks I get the same bloating. I’ll go to bed totally normal and then I’ll wake up and I’ve gained tonnes of weight. My clothes don’t fit me and It’s so bad that people notice and often ask me if I am feeling OK because I don’t look like myself. This will last for about a week or sometimes two, and then I’ll go back to normal again. I have tried keeping a food diary and also have tried to align these episodes up with my menstrual cycle, but there is no link at all.
I notice as well that when this occurs I probably only urinate about once a day, and I often feel really dehydrated, like I get headaches and feel dizzy and feel thirst. It just makes me feel so uncomfortable, my stomach is full of water and it makes me feel sick.
I have always been very healthy, I exercise regularly, eat healthily, drink plenty of water and avoid alcohol.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:58 pm

Re: Why am I Retaining Water?

Hi Salboo89

Thank you for your post. We would always recommend a check up with your GP/Doctor just to rule out anything such as an allergic reaction or infection etc. We would also recommend that you make sure you are not dehydrated by drinking plenty of fluids. Please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

2 posts