IBS/Peppermint Oil

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, TheHealthyGutClinic

3 posts
supergem1

by supergem1 on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:36 am

IBS/Peppermint Oil

Hi I would like to know if they it anything stronger than peppermint oil as they are not doing anything for my ibs

supergem1

by supergem1 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:57 pm

Re: IBS/Peppermint Oil

"]Hi I would like to know if they is anything stronger than peppermint oil as they are not doing anything for my ibs

Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: IBS/Peppermint Oil

Dear Supergem1,

Thank you for your post regarding peppermint oil and how it is not working for your IBS.

IBS, or irritable bowel syndrome, is a common condition caused by spasm of the bowel with symptoms of colicky pain in the stomach and a change of bowel habit, constipation or diarrhoea. There may also be symptoms of bloating and excess wind.

Could you tell me more about the symptoms which concern you? Have you noticed anything else, such as weight loss, blood in the stool or sudden abdominal pains?

Have you seen you doctor about this condition for a diagnosis? Do you take any other medicines which may be making the condition worse?

There are other medicines you can try, available from your local pharmacy. There are also things you can try within your lifestyle that might ease your symptoms.
[*]Try to increase your soluble fibre intake, such as that found in oats.
[*]Drink plenty of fluids (this does not include tea, coffee or other caffeinated drinks)
[*]Avoid foods that cause wind and take your time whilst eating
[*]Take regular exercise and take time to relax

If you would like to reply with more detail, I may be able to help you further. Alternatively, visit your local pharmacy who will be able to talk through the different over the counter treatment options.

Best wishes,

Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

3 posts