low libido

You can ask our experts questions here that don't fall into one of the categories below.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
leed1988

by leed1988 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:00 am

low libido

im 25 and for the past few months ive had problems with my sex drive, I sometimes struggle to get an erection or feel aroused when im with my partner which is embarrassing. I feel as if its a mental issue rather than physical but I just don't know what to do as im worried it will eventually affect my relationship

Natasha Anderson

by Natasha Anderson on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:38 pm

Re: low libido

Yes, this does sound like a psychological issue, however I'd recommend you visit your GP's to exclude any physical causes. I wonder how your partner feels about this and whether this is already causing a strain on your relationship, perhaps your partner feels you are not attracted to her anymore, perhaps you initiate sex out of feeling guilty or may even avoid intimacy as this could lead to sex, in fear of not getting an erection. Some pharmacological treatments can affect your sexual function, also low mood, stress, relationship issues, and issues rooted in the past can also impact your sex drive. Psychosexual therapy can address these issues.This is not an uncommon complaint, firstly visit your GP as initially suggested, if a physical issue is excluded, then he/she may suggest you see a psychosexual therapist. I'd recommend you attend therapy as a couple, as this will give the therapist better insight into your relationship and how you are approaching sex.
Natasha Anderson
Sexual Health Adviser and Psychosexual Therapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... derson.php

2 posts