Hiv

If you have questions about HIV please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
bubbles1974

by bubbles1974 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:27 pm

Hiv

Thanks for the last reply , just wondering if I did get HIV and wasn't sick or didn't hae symptoms could somebody still catch it from me . Also, what if someone bites me who has HIV , could I get it ?

Dr Steve Taylor

by Dr Steve Taylor on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:34 pm

Re: Hiv

Hi, bubbles - thanks for the question. You can learn a lot more about HIV transmission and testing at our website here: http://www.savinglivesuk.com/?page_id=38

The short answer, however, is that YES , you can transmit HIV - even when a person has no symptoms. In fact, most people who do not know they have HIV don't have symptoms until their HIV becomes more advanced.

One in four of those who have HIV in the UK do not know they are infected, and yet they can pass on the infection entirely unknowingly. They can also get much sicker than they need to - by the time symptoms start to show, a person is already past the best moment to start treatment.

The only way to know for sure about your status - both to stay healthy and to protect those around you - is to take a simple blood test, if you've taken any kind of risk.

It would be extremely rare to contract HIV from a human bite, though - skin is a good barrier against HIV Furthermore, saliva inactivates (kills) HIV - which is why you can't get it from kissing or sharing knives, forks and cups.

2 posts