nerve root problems?

Our experts can help and will answer your questions about bowel problems here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
angie2345

by angie2345 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:46 pm

nerve root problems?

I do not know when I want to empty my bowel and as such can be several days/weeks before going. If I get diarrhoea I am incontinent. What can I do?
[I had spinal surgery a few years ago and this has happened from then -the doctors say it is not their problem.

Dr Nick Read

by Dr Nick Read on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:40 pm

Re: nerve root problems?

It sounds like you have a neurogenic bowel. Your ability to control your bowel has become severely impaired after your spinal surgery. Do you have problems with your bladder too? If the team that carried out the surgery don't want to know, then you will need to go through your GP to find out what your options are and seek help. It could be that you would do well with a colostomy or an ACE procedure (antegrade colonic enemas through a catheter inserted through the abdominal wall), but do discuss this with your GP in the first instance.
Dr Nick Read
Gastroenterologist and Psychoanalytical Psychotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... k_read.php

angie2345

by angie2345 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:23 pm

Thank you for this reply.
Where do I find a hospital that undertakes these procedures and does the PCT fund it?
It sounds like major surgery do they close up your bottom too?

My bladder is a mess and I cannot discuss it sorry.

Debbie Stuart

by Debbie Stuart on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:43 am

You would benefit from speaking to a Continence Adviser in confidence - call the Bladder and Bowel Foundation on 0845 345 0165, leave your name and number and you will be called back.
Debbie Stuart
Chartered Physiotherapist

4 posts