Bowel Problem

Our experts can help and will answer your questions about bowel problems here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
swordfish1

by swordfish1 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:41 pm

Bowel Problem

I have had frequent and infrequent bowel movements for past few months with a feeling of incomplete evacuation as if I still want to go.

My stools are sometimes normal, sometimes with mucus and other times small and lumpy. I also suffer with excessive wind particularly after passing a stool.

I'm 53 and regularly exercise and otherwise feel healthy.

Can someone please advise what the problem may be?

Dr Anton Emmanuel

by Dr Anton Emmanuel on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:24 am

Re: Bowel Problem

Thanks for your enquiry, and the detailed yet succinct description of your symptoms.

The likeliest diagnosis is of something like IBS, but there are other possibilities if the symptoms are of recent onset or if there is any other "at-risk" symptom (weight loss, bleeding, family history). In the first instance, if none of these at risk symptoms are present, then it may be worth looking at a trusted website like IBS Network or CORE in order to get some initial advice. Such self-help is at the core of successfully managing IBS symptoms, if that is what this indeed is.

All the best.

Debbie Stuart

by Debbie Stuart on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Re: Bowel Problem

You may find it helpful to speak to a continence adviser at the Bladder & Bowel Foundation. Call 0845 345 0165, leave your name and number and an adviser will call you back.
Debbie Stuart
Chartered Physiotherapist

3 posts