Problems when passing stool

Our experts can help and will answer your questions about bowel problems here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
dipika88

by dipika88 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:04 am

Problems when passing stool

For about a year now every time i pass stool, it hurts to the point i have to clinch my fist, not because my stool is hard (its very soft) but because of the shooting sharp pain. When i wipe my self i see blood on the tissue, i strongly believe there is a tear somewhere and everytime i pass it reopens the wound and allows it to bleed again. I have tried everything changing my diet, eating high fibre foods & also tried laxatives. My doctor suggested Glycerol Suppustovies, although this helps in the short term the problem still comes back.

This also runs in the family as my mother suffered greatly with the same issue and had to have surgery.

Could it be something worse?

Dr Anton Emmanuel

by Dr Anton Emmanuel on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:15 am

Re: Problems when passing stool

Sorry to hear this.

One possibility from what you are describing is that you may be suffering with an anal fissure. This would be quick to diagnose by inspecting the area. In the short term there is a specific prescribed outcome to help healing, and thereafter it is about keeping the stools soft, frequent and of sufficient bulk in order to minimise the chance of recurrence.

Best wishes

2 posts