2 year old bowel problem

Our experts can help and will answer your questions about bowel problems here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
sam.pink1983

by sam.pink1983 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:57 pm

2 year old bowel problem

Hi I have a boy of 2 years and a few months old he keeps holding in his poo's in to the point he in pain and crys he can go a few days holding them in. I have now noticed that when he is holding it in after I think has done he has stains in his nappies not pooed tho. When he has had a bowel movement it's large and looks compact even tho on poo softer by the go. I have also notice he gets really moody and upset but then when he has had a bowel movement he all happy and loads of energy. Can anybody please help. Don't know if his helps but he was premature by 6 weeks Thanks sam

Dr Nick Read

by Dr Nick Read on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: 2 year old bowel problem

Oh dear, how difficult for your both. He is probably holding onto his stool because it is painful to pass and of course the more he holds onto it, the harder and more painful it becomes. The staining is due to the hard stool causing secretion from the rectum. He needs to become less conscious and fearful of passing his stools. Taking some fybogel would help soften the stool and make it easier, but try to take the pressure off pooing and let him just get on with it. It sounds as if he is not potty trained as yet. This can get to be a bit of a battleground. I suspect that the fact he is premature is only relevant inasmuch as you may be more worried about him. Your practice nurse may well be able to give you some reassurance and support that may help you both relax about this. Good luck.
Dr Nick Read
Gastroenterologist and Psychoanalytical Psychotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... k_read.php

Debbie Stuart

by Debbie Stuart on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:18 pm

Re: 2 year old bowel problem

You may find it useful to contact the childrens continence charity ERIC - they can offer support and advice on matters like this.
http://www.eric.org.uk/Campaigns/LetsTalkAboutPoo

Make sure your little boy drinks plenty and eats a varied diet which will help to naturally soften his stools. Mention the problem to your GP who may agree to prescribe Fybogel or infant Movicol. I would also agree that it would be best to avoid starting potty training just yet, once he is able to open his bowels more easily he will be more inclined to use a potty.
Debbie Stuart
Chartered Physiotherapist

3 posts