passing stools

Our experts can help and will answer your questions about bowel problems here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Stevie-Eve

by Stevie-Eve on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:29 am

passing stools

I hope someone can give me some advice. I am very embarrassed about this and would really rather not go to my doctor if possible but I've looked at loads of sites and some just plain scare you. For the past month or so, occasionally when I pass a stool I get a little pain in my bum and then when I wipe there is blood on the tissue, it can be a little blood or a lot! I don't think the blood is in my stool but it is definitely coming from that area. Could someone please give me some advice - or is it serious enough that I actually do need to go to the doctor? Thanks!

Dr Nick Read

by Dr Nick Read on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: passing stools

It sounds like you may have a small split in the skin of your anal canal or perhaps an erosion over a small haemorrhoid, which opens when you pass a motion. It may help to take some Fybogel to soften your stool and also get some ointment to protect the area and allow it to heal. Although this is not likely to be anything serious, if the problem continues, do go and see your doctor so he can examine the area and reassure you.
Dr Nick Read
Gastroenterologist and Psychoanalytical Psychotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... k_read.php

Dr Anton Emmanuel

by Dr Anton Emmanuel on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Re: passing stools

Thanks for the enquiry. I do feel that this is most likely due to an anal fissure. The alternative is a haemorrhoid problem. It would be important to know if you are constipated. I would encourage you to see your GP - although you may feel embarrassed, this is something your GP will be comfortable with dealing with. Once you have had a brief inspection of the area the problem is generally very amenable to treatment, and the sooner you can get this dealt with the easier it is to move on with things.

3 posts