Ibs constipation rectocele

If you have questions about IBS ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
chicken123

by chicken123 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:14 pm

Ibs constipation rectocele

I suffer from bloating and I constantly look pregnant. I'm within my optimal BMI and therefore don’t think my weight is the issue. I also run and like to keep fit. I think it’s worse because after 2 pregnancies, I still have a gap between my abdominals. I have started trying to stick to gluten free bread and lactofree milk, limiting pasta and other wheat type products which does help (don’t get as uncomfortable or have as much flatulence). I also get quite stressed (busy working mum) and I don’t think that helps with my stomach. I can’t wear tight fitting clothes and have to wear baggy tops due to this.
Also I’m worried about my bowels. After watching embarrassing bodies, there was a lady with a rectocele. I also have to press on my perineum to go to the toilet, which probably means I will get blocked up & constipated. I’m ok with this now and it doesn’t cause pain or anything, but will it get any worse if I don’t get it seen to?

Any help would be appreciated! If there's anything I can be prescribed that would be great. Bloating always get worse when in holiday & I'm going away soon!

Thanks

Dr Nick Read

by Dr Nick Read on Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:22 pm

Re: Ibs constipation rectocele

As is often the case with IBS, the treatment for one symptom amy conflict with the treatment for another. For your bloating, do consider a low FODMAPs diet, a diet low in fermentable carbohydrates (many fruits and vegetables, wheat, milk). For your constipation, we would normally suggest ispaghula (Fybogel) in the first instance but you could also try a small dose of bisocodyl or even one of the new drugs like prucalopride or linaclotide, which have to be obtained on prescription. it's a matter of finding a regime that suits you. Perhaps taking FODMAP foods like prunes to loosen your bowel with a antispasmodic such as colpermin to prevent the spasm that holds up gas would be another option. it you have a rectocoele, it's important you take something that makes your bowels loose enough you don't need to strain. And remember, stress always makes IBS symptoms much worse. A low does of antidepressant can help all symptoms. . .
Dr Nick Read
Gastroenterologist and Psychoanalytical Psychotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... k_read.php

2 posts