IBS?

If you have questions about IBS ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
KayleighWood

by KayleighWood on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:04 pm

IBS?

Hi. I was diagnosed with IBS roughly about 6 months ago, although I have had the symptoms for at least 2 year. However, I feel that nothing is working to help me control it. I've tried peppermint oil tablets and buscopan and they haven't helped, I have also tried numerous diets and nothing seems to help. I can not find what types of food or drinks make things worse. Everything I seem to eat and drink leaves me heavily bloated and in serious abdominal pain. It causes me a lot of stress as I am always feeling the need for the toilet, I have to make arrangements and change plans to work round my IBS. For example, I have to catch earlier transport to college every morning to make sure I have fully been to the toilet (although I will of been numerous times before I leave home) before college starts. I really am suffering with the condition I am just 17 years old and I feel it has taken over my life.
A few months ago I noticed a lot of blood in my stools, I went to the walk in centre at my local hospital and they did an examination and everything seemed fine, they put it down to diarrhoea I had a few days before. After a few days it passed but now however, for these 3 days it has reoccurred and I am constantly dashing to the toilet. Do you think its anything to be concerned about?

I am wondering if there is anything you could help me with or any suggestions you may have.
Thanks.

christine bailey

by christine bailey on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: IBS?

Many thanks for your question. Certainly if you continue to see blood in your stools you need to go back to your GP. It may be hemorrhoids but do talk to your GP in case it is cause by another factor. With your symptoms it would also be advisable to be checked for Coeliac Disease - an autoimmune condition linked to eating gluten found in wheat, barley and rye. Your GP can arrange this for you - it is a blood test. As you have heavy bloating it may be that you have Small Intestinal Bowel Overgrowth - this can be tested for through a hydrogen breath test. In some cases infections in the gut from bacteria, yeasts, parasites can be a factor - this can be tested for via a comprehensive stool test. There are many private labs in the UK that can do this for you or speak to your GP for a referral.

I know you have mentioned that you have tried dietary changes but do consider dairy foods (lactose), gluten and high fructose style foods - you could look into the FODMAPs diet which can be helpful for some people. Stress can be a factor involved with IBS too so consider whether any lifestyle factors are contributing to your signs and symptoms - was there something that happened in your life six months ago that triggered the symptoms for example?

Please do speak to your GP about your symptoms to check for underlying issues as mentioned above.

Christine Bailey
Christine Bailey
Nutritional Consultant - MSc PGCE MBANT CNHC

2 posts