What is this pain?

You can ask our experts questions here that don't fall into one of the categories below.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Jenny1

by Jenny1 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:02 am

What is this pain?

I have had a pain in my right lower abdomen for three years now.It is always in the same place.It is a gripey pain which can burn at times.Initially I had nausea and constipation so I had a colonoscopy first which was normal.It seemed to have some connection to my periods,worse in the second half of my cycle,slightly better after period,begins to worsen again after this.I had a laparoscopy and had adhesions divided,my ovary was stuck to my bowel and abdominal wall but on the other side.The nausea went but the pain remained.
I don't get general cramps or stomach pains,it is always in the same place.I do occasionally get constipated but this is not hugely problematic.
I do get rectal bleeding when my period starts.I have also had rectal burning pain and have been given steroid suppositories which help but if I stop using them I am back to the same problem.
I have a lot of disc damage to my lower back and all this seemed to begin after I ruptured a disc.I often get back pain which is worsened before and during defacation.I also sometimes get shooting nerve pains and it can even feels like somone has stuck a knife up there.Sometimes I get a dart of pain when I sit down too which makes me want to jump right up again.Have recurrent UTIs and cystitis also.
This is such a ramble but I am at the end of my tether,literally.Would appreciate any advice.

Dr Nick Read

by Dr Nick Read on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:52 pm

Re: What is this pain?

Several possibilities.
You could have endometriosis, where bits of the lining of your uterus have got stuck to the bowel. This might explain the pain at the time of your periods, the rectal bleeding and the response to steroids. You might have inflammatory bowel disease. It started at the same time as you ruptured a disc so that implies some connection. What caused that. Is it that the pain recurs when anything reminds you of that?
I guess you've had a lot of investigations, but with your story, I would arrange a colonoscopy a scan of the abdomen/pelvis and would want to understand the relationship between the circumstances of your ruptured disc and the ongoing pain.
Nick Read (for The IBS Network)
Dr Nick Read
Gastroenterologist and Psychoanalytical Psychotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... k_read.php

Jenny1

by Jenny1 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Re: What is this pain?

Many thanks for your reply.My GP and Gynae thought I had endometriosis but it was not found during the laparoscopy.I have a lot of degeneration through my spine and my disc just ruptured spontaneously.The only correlate I can see is my period.
I have been brushed off with PMS/IBS but these don't seem to fit.
Will go for another opinion.Thanks again.

3 posts