Stomach.Colon/abdo pain issues post H pylori

You can ask our experts questions here that don't fall into one of the categories below.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
davidson

by davidson on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:12 pm

Stomach.Colon/abdo pain issues post H pylori

Dear All

I wish to seek advice on the above issues and the history is as follows;

Approx 2 years ago started having abdo/upper stomach stinging pain like sun burn internally.
I had started taking simvastatin 40mg per day and I was also under a lot of stress. Last July diagnosed with H pylori took the triple therepy and the stool retest was a negative result. But I am still having problems with bloating, thinner stools, nausea, acid reflux and pain.
Two weeks ago I had Barium swallow Xray and it has come back clear now I am having Endoscopy but confused as to if this is needed if the results are negative from Barium?
I did not get much sense from Gp it seems that Barium does not pick up all cancer only bigger lumps?
Also is there a chance of serious damage from H pylori, I aslo had Campbactuer in January I thought that was it for me.
As this is two years on I suspect Crohens, Colon tumour, stomach cancer?

Please advise

J

Dr Anton Bungay

by Dr Anton Bungay on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:51 am

Re: Stomach.Colon/abdo pain issues post H pylori

Endoscopy of the stomach is generally undertaken in patients over 45 with stomach symptoms and younger patients who have persistent symptoms or worrying eg vomiting and weight loss. The barium will not pick up an inflamed stomach lining. Helicobacter is worth eradicatinng but only a minority of patients improve after that. The vast majority of people have a motility disorder of their stomach leading to discomfort/burning/nausea and this may go along with acid reflux. Typical treatment is omeprazole type drugs +/- domperidone which affects gastric motility i.e all the X rays and endoscopies in the world will not pick this up. These tests are done just to rule out other nasties first
Dr Anton Bungay
Consultant Gastroenterologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... bungay.php

2 posts