Suggestion for GP patient FM symptom checklist/blood tests

Post your questions about Fibromyalgia here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Tellithowitis

by Tellithowitis on Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:25 am

Suggestion for GP patient FM symptom checklist/blood tests

I understand that in the NHS they often follow some compulsory checklist with certain procedures, like there is for depression. It would be great, if this was the case for FM by the GP practice, if matching symptoms over time, would then refer for blood tests shown on the NHS website. It is happening often that certain GP's are not believing FIBRO is real, so may not look into this further. It is so hard to try and understand what is happening to your body, then fighting to get the right help. I know of people who have self-diagnosed. :o Being referred to a Consultant, to get people on the right medications takes time. I feel for the others, I am very lucky to have wonderful doctors and a good team at my Surgery.

pam stewart

by pam stewart on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:20 am

Re: Suggestion for GP patient FM symptom checklist/blood tes

A pathway for fibromyalgia is something we have been pushing for for years. Last year a pathway was published on The Map of Medicine which is accessed by GPs, written by The British Pain Society with input from ourselves and medical professionals. This can be viewed here http://bps.mapofmedicine.com/evidence/b ... lgia1.html

We are still pushing for NICE or Health England to adopt a set of guidelines.
Pam Stewart
Fibromyalgia Association UK (Chair)

2 posts