Is fibro forever?

Post your questions about Fibromyalgia here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

7 posts
lilisojo

by lilisojo on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:27 pm

Is fibro forever?

I had two caesarians 12 months apart six/seven years ago. Since then I have suffered from fibromyalgia. I have lived with joint aches and pains and bouts of extreme tiredness but over the last six months it has become more extreme. I spend most days unable to move very much at all and the bouts of being bed ridden are now 3/4 times per week rather than the once twice per month it used to be. Could this be a permanent development or a phase that will improve. I am so desperate now. Hate feeling so lethargic all the time and the pain is wearing me down. Does anyone have any advice to improve symptoms and any knowledge on whether this is a permanent fixture. I have tried exercise but end up bed ridden for two days after. :(

Marianne123

by Marianne123 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:20 pm

Re: Is fibro forever?

I find I have to rest for the pain to go.

meliniwish

by meliniwish on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:16 pm

With help from my GP, and Physio (accessing hydrotherapy) and rest when Im feeling fatigued or in pain helped me. I ha about three months that's were manageable non-all-day-in-bed-days. Mind you did too much and flared again. I take my hat of as having two (?) children to care for its hard to rest, in many ways I'm lucky as my daughter 21 now - she now looks after me! Take care

lukibird

by lukibird on Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:42 am

I find that just resting doesn't do much for me. A combination of rest, GENTLE exercise and meditation is what does the most. But everyone is different.

pam stewart

by pam stewart on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:20 am

At present there is no cure for FM but symptoms are managed to a lesser or greater degree by a range of treatments. If you click on the FMA UK logo (seated yellow figure) and then on the link at the bottom this will take you to our website where you will find information about the various ways your FM symptoms might be improved.
There is also information written for medical professionals on our site which can be sent out in printed format to your GP or other medical professionals by sending details to our head office.
Self management, making use medical professionals, seems to be the most effective way of mitigating the symptoms and my involve changes in life style as well as medical intervention.
Pam Stewart
Fibromyalgia Association UK (Chair)

mandylou42

by mandylou42 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:26 am

I would love the answer to this, it is said it is a non progressive illness, but bassed on my personal circumstance and that of many in the different groups I am a member off, this doesn't seem so. I have had fibro for about 9 years and the last 3 Years I have gone down hill dramatically, I have changed my diet and lost over 4 stone, stopped smoking, drinking alcohol and try to do some sort of yoga at home just to keep stretched and flexible, but all to no avail I have never been in so much pain and it is just flare after flare. I really hope and pray that there is an end to this, I want my life back.

7 posts