fibro and M.E.

Post your questions about Fibromyalgia here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

7 posts
Bluebottle

by Bluebottle on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:47 pm

fibro and M.E.

Many of us with severe M.E. also have fibromyalgia. The treatment for fibromyalgia is exercise, which makes people with severe M.E. relapse badly after doing, . This leaves us in a catch 22 situation. Is this problem being addressed in any way please?

meliniwish

by meliniwish on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:23 pm

Re: fibro and M.E.

I have Fibro and ME fluctuating from one end if spectrum to the other. I have found gentle physio exercise in hydro pool helps a little (not normal pools as too cold).

pam stewart

by pam stewart on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:41 am

My reply to yoga and meditation should be of some help here as well.

Even with FM alone, exercise has an effect and often people feel more pain and fatigue if not immediately the next day. The answer is to find the right starting level for you. Usually stretching exercises are the way to start before thinking about aerobic routines.
By exercise, it does not mean time in the gym following a routine necessarily. Any form of physical activity is exercise. Look your day and access any physical activity and the length of time you can maintain it without a negative affect. If there is an activity that really knocks you out, find a way to minimise its impact by breaking it down into smaller tasks or finding a way to achieve the desired result differently.
For example, vacuuming is one activity that can cause problems as it uses on side of the body and puts on an unnatural strain. First of all think about the sort of vacuum cleaner you have and consider whether a different sort would mean less strain. Then break down the task so that you do not try to clean the whole place in one day. Swop sides if you can. Finally if all else fails let someone else do the job and use another activity for your exercise.
If you plan an exercise activity, make it something that you enjoy doing and do with others. You are more likely to continue with it and look forward to it rather than dread it and this in itself will help.
Pam Stewart
Fibromyalgia Association UK (Chair)

good2talk

by good2talk on Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:01 pm

Hi does anyone know if you can get a referral from your GP or pain consultant at hospital to have sessions at a hydropool or a pool where they at least have the water temperature higher? Would this be for free? I cant swim and have a fear of water,so wopuldnt normally go to a pool plus the water would be too chilly for me...but love heat and since having to do away with my bath due to mobility problems i no longer have that option of relaxing in warm water. Im in Scotland btw if that makes any difference to nhs referrals for hydropool, not sure
??

Bluebottle

by Bluebottle on Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:43 pm

Thank you, but my question was about severe M.E., not about people who are well enough to attend hydrotherapy or to vacuum.

Bluebottle

by Bluebottle on Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:45 pm

My question remains unanswered, as people with severe M.E. cannot possibly undertake such activities as vacuum or attend hydrotherapy.

pam stewart

by pam stewart on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:56 pm

I can only refer you to the beginning of my answer about assessing what you are able to do and using stretching exercises as a starting point.

I am not aware of any studies on the combination of FM and ME so cannot give you any further information on the exercise side. However some of the information given in other posts about various treatments or therapies may work for you. As always it is a case of trying to find the combination that works the best for you.
Pam Stewart
Fibromyalgia Association UK (Chair)

7 posts