Yoga and Meditation

Post your questions about Fibromyalgia here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
mrsfizz11

by mrsfizz11 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:50 am

Yoga and Meditation

Can you give us an update of the latest research into yoga and meditation to help pain in Fibro?
How many times per week and length of time you need to exercise to make a difference?

pam stewart

by pam stewart on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:08 am

Re: Yoga and Meditation

As with all treatments for FM it does vary between individuals. Most things have to be started at a low level and gradually increased as the symptoms allow.
Yoga and meditation concentrate on listening to yourself and noting the condition of mind and body in a non judgemental way and this is essential especially for FM.
Little and often is probably the best way to start, building up slowly. Although attending classes helps learn the techniques, practising on your own in a comfortable, peaceful place is essential as then you can make use of the techniques whenever you are most in need of them.

I know not the definitive answer you were looking for but everyone is different and what one person can tolerate or gain improvement from another cannot.
Pam Stewart
Fibromyalgia Association UK (Chair)

Adam Eason

by Adam Eason on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:35 am

Re: Yoga and Meditation

Although yoga and meditation are not really my sphere of competence and so cannot really offer up a comprehensive response to your query, I do know of and have seen mindfulness used in a wide range of pain relief studies and the application of mindfulness has an impressive and varied evidence base. It is often used for control groups when measuring against hypnosis (my own field) in studies and compares favourably.

You might like to explore mindfulness too.

Best wishes, Adam.
Adam Eason
Clinical & Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _eason.php

3 posts