alternative therapies / car parking

Post your questions about Fibromyalgia here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Jenniferlou

by Jenniferlou on Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:55 pm

alternative therapies / car parking

Ive heard about fibro being treated through alternative therapies but my GP says that none of these can be funded under the NHS. Is there a way of getting help with the costs of these? On that note, is fibro counted as a 'disability' that you could claim benefits from (and thus pay for alt therapy from the benefit allowance)?

I also work full time and cope with pain killers but on days where pain is stronger, I have often thought a disability badge for parking would be a massive help. I make such an effort for fibro not to affect me working full time, but a little help to ease walking distances would be such a useful thing. I applied once but was denied. Has anyone any advice on this too?

thanks

pam stewart

by pam stewart on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:18 pm

Re: alternative therapies / car parking

Some health authorities do fund alternatives therapies and under the new Commissioning boards there may be more availability. It does vary but local involvement could be used to influence changes. Look out for your area Healthwatch and make your voice heard.

No condition in it's own right entitles you for any benefits or blue badge. It is the effects that the condition has on your abilities to function in a normal way that determines your entitlement. Hence some people with fibromyalgia will get support and others may not.

If you are struggling at work, you can also ask for changes or adaptations to be made to the work situation under the Disability Discrimination Act which can help with coping outside of the workplace if you are in less pain or less fatigued. You are more likely to achieved what you need if you can identify the solution as well as the problem as this is then seen in a more positive light than if you just report the negative aspects.
Pam Stewart
Fibromyalgia Association UK (Chair)

Sarah Lawrence

by Sarah Lawrence on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:32 am

Re: alternative therapies / car parking

It sounds as if you would need to apply for a Blue badge under what are known as the discretionary grounds. Some people can get a Blue badge automatically upon application if they are in receipt of DLA high rate mobility for example. If you do not fall into one of the automatic categories you need to apply on discretionary grounds. You would need to fill in an application form-available from your local authority or you can apply on line at https://www.gov.uk/apply-blue-badge

You may also have to attend an assessment after completing the form.

The Department of Transport has issued guidance about Blue badges which can be found here
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ce-england

Action for M.E have published a Guide to Blue badges which gives an overview that you may find helpful

http://www.actionforme.org.uk/Resources ... T-2013.pdf

Blue badges can really assist people to remain in work and access facilities that they need but they can be hard to get unfortunately.
Sarah Lawrence
Action for M.E. Welfare Rights Officer

4 posts