Pain and fatigue

Post your questions about Fibromyalgia here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

6 posts
clsmbenn

by clsmbenn on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:06 pm

Pain and fatigue

Hi,

I have chronic back pain, asthma and have recently been diagnosed with FMS.

I take 80mg MST and thats all, but its not helping with the pain.

I am also fed up with the muscle twitches and spasms and the fatigue is a nuisance with 2 kids.

I see my local dr on friday, but i am guessing it will just be the usual, theres no more we can do for you, you just have to get on with it.

Is there anything else that will help, i do try and exercise as much as i can and i also try and potter about the house, but all this is limiting me with walking and driving.

Any help/ advice would be great.

Thank you

pam stewart

by pam stewart on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Pain and fatigue

You may find some of the other answers useful under other posts as there are a whole range of things you can try. We have information on our site for patients and medical professionals. It will be up to you to find the best combination for you with your medical professionals help. If your GP really will not find out what is possible, then change your GP.

For help with the children, there is a book available through our site with a strategy that may help. It uses the traffic light system to show what is going to be possible on the day.
Pam Stewart
Fibromyalgia Association UK (Chair)

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:33 pm

Hi,

You are right to try to stay active, as moderate aerobic exercise such as walking, swimming and yoga, have been shown to help ease fibromyalgia pain, as well as boost mood and help improve sleep. However, you need to listen to your body - if your pain, stiffness, or fatigue worsen following a bout of exercise take it as a sign that you've overdone things and allow your body to rest and recover for a day or two.

Also the fact that you have two children means you are likely to be kept busy, so try to pace yourself in terms of doing household chores - perhaps working in short bursts of say 15 minutes and then resting for 15 minutes or more in between. During a flare-up try to keep chores to a minimum - maybe the kids (depending on their age) could help you?

Eating a balanced diet and maintaining a healthy weight can also help with fibromyalgia symptoms. Some studies have linked low levels of certain vitamins and minerals to fibromyalgia, so make sure you eat a varied diet that includes oily fish, whole grains, low-fat protein foods, low-fat dairy foods and fresh fruit and vegetables.

A lack of vitamin D in particular has been linked to chronic pain conditions such as fibromyalgia. We have a tendency to go short of vitamin D in this country because the main source is sunlight on the skin. You can boost your levels by getting outdoors in sunlight for 20-30 minutes without sun cream - if you are fair-skinned limit this to 2-3 ten-minute sessions daily. Reasonable food sources include oily fish, liver, eggs, milk and butter and foods that are usually vitamin D fortified such as margarine, cereals and powdered milk. If you don't eat these foods regularly and can't get out in sunlight, you might consider taking a vitamin D supplement. The recommended daily dose is around 30mcg (1,200IU). Rate your pain and fatigue from 0 to 10 before taking it and then again after 3 months to see if there is any improvement in your symptoms.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

clsmbenn

by clsmbenn on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:01 pm

Thank you all for the replies.

I am on MST for the chronic back pain.

I have tried most meds such as pregablin etc and nothing worked, but this was all used to try and help with the back, so am not sure it will help now.

My children are 9yrs and 12yrs. The 12 yrs helps me loads, but really try not to put oo much on him as they have a life to lead.

My hubby helps when he isnt working and i have a friend that helps me out as well.

I have a varied diet, but not a fatty diet if that makes sense.

I can go out in the sun as i am allergic to it. :)

I do go out though, but am well wrapped when i do. x

Adam Eason

by Adam Eason on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:08 pm

Hello there,

I just responded to a similar question in a different section of this clinic, the response may be of use/interest to you:

viewtopic.php?t=4495

I also added a couple of protocols that could be applied directly from home to help ease pain which are highlighted in the above thread - blog posts I added here at this site yesterday - which may also offer some use to you in conjunction with what you are doing already.

Best wishes, Adam.
Adam Eason
Clinical & Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _eason.php

6 posts