What supplements can help?

Post your questions about Fibromyalgia here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

6 posts
chimpeey

by chimpeey on Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:44 pm

What supplements can help?

Hello,

I've been suffering with fibromyalgia for about 8 yrs but I was only diagnosed by my doctor 3 yrs ago, I have good days and bad days but every day I have pain somewhere in my body, I take Dosulepin and painkillers usually cocodomol, I was wondering if there are any supplements that I could take to help ease my fibro or help my low moods.

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:20 pm

Re: What supplements can help?

Hi Chimpey,

I think it's a great idea for you to try taking some supplements to help ease your pain and boost your mood. Make sure too that you are eating a balanced diet consisting of oily fish, low-fat protein foods, low-fat dairy foods, whole grains, fruit and vegetables and nuts and seeds, to boost your general wellbeing.

When taking a supplement I suggest you rate your each of your symptoms from 0 to 10 before taking it and then again after 3 months to see if there is any improvement and to help you decide whether or not to continue taking it.

A lack of vitamin D in particular has been linked to chronic pain conditions such as fibromyalgia. We have a tendency to go short of vitamin D in this country because the main source is sunlight on the skin. The recommended daily dose is around 30mcg (1,200IU).

Another supplement worth trying is 5-HTP, which is thought to boost mood by increasing serotonin levels, it's also thought to ease pain, and clear 'fibro-fog'. Low levels of serotonin have been linked to fibromyalgia.

There's also evidence that 200mg of magnesium twice a day and 1,200mg of malic acid once a day can help to ease pain, tenderness and fatigue. BioCare Magnesium Malate would be a suitable supplement to try. You can buy them here http://www.biocare.co.uk/default.aspx?G ... Guid=26190

Red Montmorency cherries, grown in North America have also been shown to help ease fibromyalgia pain and improve sleep patterns. They are rich in antioxidants which have an anti-inflammatory effect and in the 'sleep hormone' melatonin. You can buy CherryActive Concentrate (juice) at most large supermarkets; CherryActive Capsules and CherryActive Dried Montmorency Cherries are also available.
For more details go to http://www.cherryactive.co.uk

You may also want to try taking a vitamin B complex, as this has been shown to reduce homocysteine levels - high levels of which have been linked to fibromyalgia. Vitamin B complex is thought to help ease pain, fatigue, depression and insomnia.

I hope you find that taking one or more of these supplements helps to ease your symptoms. Good luck! :)
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

chimpeey

by chimpeey on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:45 pm

Thank you Wendy for your information and suggestions they are most helpful....... :)

Kim

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:17 pm

You're welcome!
:)
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

Marianne123

by Marianne123 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:56 pm

can you post the evidence base for the supplements you suggest that help please?

pam stewart

by pam stewart on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:54 pm

I would just like to add that you should let your doctor know what you are going to be taking and to try only one new one at a time or you will not know which one or combination is working for you.
Pam Stewart
Fibromyalgia Association UK (Chair)

6 posts