Many do not have FM Syndrome alone

Post your questions about Fibromyalgia here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Tellithowitis

by Tellithowitis on Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:59 am

Many do not have FM Syndrome alone

It is very hard for many FIBRO sufferers to cope with working/living in general. Many people do not understand that the majority suffer with other illnesses like long-term back pain, Spondylitis, Arthritis and limited mobility, which add to the already complicated condition. The hyper-sensitivity made it impossible for me to carry on working, due to bright lighting, sun through blinds, noisy environment i.e, telephones, people speaking, poor concentration, memory impairment. There is plenty of evidence based there, why do we find it so hard to fight for benefits/help. It only adds to the stress we are already under, making it more unbearable. I thankfully, managed to have Fibro diagnosed within a year of getting it, and then get the help and benefits I needed.

pam stewart

by pam stewart on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:41 pm

Re: Many do not have FM Syndrome alone

It is recognised that Fibromyalgia is often coupled with other long term conditions. This makes it even more difficult to determine what actually is causing any particular symptom. Other conditions can also have fluctuating symptoms and this is part of the problem with benefit entitlement. It is not the condition itself that entitles someone to an award for benefit but how it effects them and their ability to work or look after themselves. With any illness that varies this can be tricky to determine with a single assessment.

The benefit system is receiving much publicity over its methods and much has still to be done to make it fair to everyone. As part of this we are told that evidence of specific incidences of inequalities have to be produced before notice will be taken. If you have experienced this then please tell your representatives or inform the current consultation www.dwp.gov.uk/wca-review
Pam Stewart
Fibromyalgia Association UK (Chair)

2 posts