What is active relaxation?

Ask our experts all your paediatric medical questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
CFS.ME Mum

by CFS.ME Mum on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:48 pm

What is active relaxation?

Can I please ask another question?
Prior to seeing a CFS Paediatric Consultant we had a probable diagnosis of CFS so had started to do research. We came across the literature for Dr Crawley's clinic in Bath. On the Baht website they suggested 5 mins per hour as a rest break. We asked the CFS team we now have about rest breaks and they suggested doing active relaxation. What is active relaxation?
Thank you.

Dr Caroline Grayson

by Dr Caroline Grayson on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:14 pm

Re: What is active relaxation?

My understanding is that active relaxation is different to the rest breaks and refers to "green" activity on the activity diaries. This includes meditation and deep breathing activities.The information sheet on the nhrd website contains some helpful information
http://www.rnhrd.nhs.uk/uploads/files/1 ... xation.pdf
The recommendation of a 5 minute rest break refers to a rest from any high energy activity "red" activity and involves a lower level of activity defined as "yellow" activity which describes any activity which does not involve any significant physical or cognitive effort. This can simply involve sitting and listening to music/ flicking through a magazine etc. rather than specific relaxation
Caroline Grayson
Dr Caroline Grayson
Consultant Paediatrician

MichaelC

by MichaelC on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:15 am

AYME (Association for Young People with ME

08451 23 23 89

http://www.ayme.org.uk

redberries

by redberries on Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:24 pm

I am not sure if this is the same thing as active relaxation but when I was under an ME team my occupational therapist gave me a relaxation tape with visualisation exercises. These included visualisation of a calm garden and full body relaxation where you focus on each muscle and relax them one by one. However, I was recommended to do these for 20-30 mins 3 times a day rather than 5 mins per hour. I know the Bath version of pacing is quite different and I found it difficult as it takes time to get into relaxation mode and 5 mins was not enough for me. Maybe it is just finding the right approach for you. I think meditation is a great tool for ME but it can be difficult at first and takes practice to fully calm your mind. I persevered with it and find it very helpful. Hope this is useful. :)

4 posts