Stress - permanent damage?

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
leiper11

by leiper11 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:00 am

Stress - permanent damage?

I have a few questions...

I finally seem to be bringing my condition under some sort of control, after 13 years, and am now just able to work part time in a gentle job. Stress (physical, mental, emotional, environmental) seems to be my key trigger for a flare up of symptoms, and this seems to be getting worse, despite doing calming practices etc so I am still living life on a roller coaster with no stability. I wonder if I have permanently damaged my adrenal glands, or part of the stress response system? If its not permanently damaged, can you say roughly how long recovery might take? It's difficult to plan ahead when I don't know if or when I can expect an improvement here.
Thank you.

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:07 am

Re: Stress - permanent damage?

Stress can be an important factor in both the precipitation of ME/CFS (when combined with a viral infection) and in the perpetuation of symptoms

So persistent stress can have a very negative impact on the chances of recovery and where it occurs it must be addressed

Stress can also affect adrenal gland function and the output of cortisol from the gland

The MEA has an information sheet covering the management of stress in ME/CFS

MEA website + pdf literature order form: http://www.meassociation.org.uk
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

2 posts