New aches and pains

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
leiper11

by leiper11 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:05 am

New aches and pains

I've never suffered with much pain from this condition during the 13 years I've had it. Many symptoms are subsiding in severity too, but new ones are appearing (aching bones - elbows and knees). I have been advised that it is unusual to experience new ME symptoms after such a long time - would you agree?
Thank you.

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:26 am

Re: New aches and pains

Most (but not all) people with ME/CFS experience pain. Pain can occur in the muscles, joints (arthralgia) and sometimes it takes on the quality of nerve/neuropathic pain. The pain can vary in intensity from mild to severe. So for some people with ME/CFS, pain can be the most disabling part of their illness.

There are a number of drugs that can help with pain relief in ME/CFS - depending on the type of pain and how severe it is. The options are summarised in the MEA booklet: ME/CFS/PVFS - An Exploration of the Key Clinical Issues. We also have an information leaflet covering both drug and non drug (eg acupuncture, TENS machines) approaches to pain relief. If pain is severe, and not being helped by GP management, referral to a pain clinic is worth discussing.

People with ME/CFS who develop a new symptom, or an exacerbation of a pre-existing symptom, should always discuss this with their doctor - because there may be another explanation. This is very important in relation to joint pain because there are a number of rheumatological and autoimmune conditions that may need to be excluded.

Joint pain in ME/CFS does not involve swelling, redness or inflammation of the joint. - if any of these signs are present you must see your doctor.
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

2 posts