Acidic urine/low temperature

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
snailspace

by snailspace on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:57 am

Acidic urine/low temperature

Hi, I was diagnosed with M.E. about 15 years ago. I have learnt to self manage and treat myself with complementary and alternative treatments as nothing is offered by the NHS (not even simple lifestyle advice about diet etc..!) Recently I have been having a bad phase and have discovered that my temperature is constantly below normal and that my urine is acidic (pH5-6.5) according to pH test papers which I realise may not be that accurate. My diet is mainly vegetarian with very little sugar and lots of water so I can't understand why it would be acidic.....is this anything to worry about? I have been tested for hypothyroid and apparently don't have this so I also can't explain the low temperature. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:53 pm

Re: Acidic urine/low temperature

As you are no doubt aware, problems with temperature control and sensitivity to heat/cold are very characteristic features of this illness - probably due to a disturbance in a tiny gland in the brain called the hypothalamus that acts as the body's temperature thermostat

You don't say if you have discussed these problems with your GP.....

If not, I suggest you take an accurate recording of your body temperature a few times a day over a period of a week and record this in a diary - which can be shown to your GP

He/she can then decide if this is something that requires further assessment/investigation
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

snailspace

by snailspace on Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:15 pm

Re: Acidic urine/low temperature

No, I haven't discussed it with my GP yet....it takes such a lot of energy to go and I wasn't sure if it was important! What about acidic urine....is that anything to worry about? Thanks for you help and advice!

3 posts