balance with me

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
molly1954

by molly1954 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:29 pm

balance with me

Hi thanks for this forum
I was diagnosed 2001 with me since then my balance has got worse . I have had audio tests and tests for balance but everything comes back normal. But I also have tinnitus.I have been backwards and forwards to the Doctors for heart palpatations. I started phsiothearpy but I had to stop I found this to be to much it was circuit phsiothearpy since then I have felt worse is this because of the phsiothearpy. My G.P thinks not.I have had treatment at Queens hospital Romford and I found it very helpful. But I could only have a certain amount of appointments due to funding because I live out off the area.

thanks Moira

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:41 pm

Re: balance with me

Molly

Problems with balance are a very characteristic feature of ME/CFS and there has been some research carried out. This indicates that in some cases this may be caused by what is called vestibular dysfunction. If you want to follow this research up there is more information in the MEA booklet: ME/CFS/PVFS - An Exploration of the Key Clinical Issues and in 'Living with ME'.

Unfortunately, treatment with either drugs or balance exercises in ME/CFS tends to be of limited value

This is a symptom that should always be carefully assessed and (where appropriate) investigated. As you have been to Queens Hospital in Essex (where my neurologist colleague Dr Abhijit Chaudhuri works) I assume that this is the case.

Speaking as a doctor with personal experience of this illness, balance problems in particular, I can sympathise with what you are saying and the frustration at not having an effective way of relieving this particular symptom.
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

2 posts