muscle spasm

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
mary lou

by mary lou on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:30 pm

muscle spasm

I am having a lot of muscle spasm in my chest area and chest tightness after the spasm. I have been checked out by a cardiologist in the past and it is not heat related. It is happening more often know and really getting me down. I do get spasm in other places at times also. Can anyone give me any suggestions to help.

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:18 pm

Re: muscle spasm

Some people with ME/CFS notice spasm or twitching in their muscles - more often in the limb muscles.

There are drugs that can sometimes be of help here but they have to be used with considerable caution because in addition to relaxing skeletal muscle they can cause further weakness.

I think this is something you need to go back to your GP about -in view of the fact that the spasm is occurring in your chest.

I assume that the spasm is not coming from 'inside the chest' and is some form of acid reflux/heartburn??
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

mary lou

by mary lou on Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:50 pm

thanks for the reply. I do get spasm in other parts of my body limbs ect. At times you can see my peck muscles moving of their own accord.

Housemouse

by Housemouse on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:31 pm

Same here, although since taking Baclofen regularly I very rarely get them now.

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:53 pm

Yes, this is a muscle relaxant drug that is sometimes used to treat muscle spasm and unco-ordinated muscle movement

More info on the possible (and very cautious) use of muscle relaxant drugs in ME/CFS can be found in the Treatment Section of the MEA purple booklet if you want to follow this up
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

5 posts