Lack of understanding in hospitals

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
karenlr22

by karenlr22 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:31 pm

Lack of understanding in hospitals

My husband was recently admitted into hospital with a kidney stone. He had to give general health answers and told them that he had M.E. The nurses just looked at him in a strange way whilst the doctors and surgeons looked puzzled and asked him what M.E. was. There was no care or concern about his M.E - the noise, light and lack of any sleep was terrible for him to cope with - and we wondered what is being done to change this situation and inform the medical profession about M.E and get them to take it seriously.

Karen

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:17 pm

Re: Lack of understanding in hospitals

Karen

Yes, this outdated attitude is completely unacceptable and illustrates the fact that many doctors (and nurses) in hospital, especially those working in surgery, have little in the way of up to date knowledge about research or management of ME/CFS.

As part of the MEA campaign to educate the medical profession we can arrange for your doctor to receive a free copy of the 2013 edition of the MEA booklet for doctors (ME/CFS/PVFS - An Exploration of the Key Clinical Issues) which is a fully referenced (over 300) 52 page summary of all the latest information on research, clinical assessment/diagnosis and management. This is all being funded by our 2012 Xmas Appeal.

If you have to go back to hospital we have an MEA information leaflet that covers 'Going into Hospital' in relation to both surgery and anaesthetics

MEA website: http://www.meassociation.org.uk
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

2 posts