breathing with ME

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

7 posts
montybodkin

by montybodkin on Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:49 pm

breathing with ME

hello thank you so much for this opportunity.
I would like to ask about my breathing.I find that it doesn't seem to come naturally to me
now I have ME.I find it particularly difficult at night when I lie down.I am so conscious of the
fact I don't seem to breath naturally and seem to have to think about it.I had some facet
joint injections quite a few times in hospital for my neuralgia/neck pain which I have had pre ME.
Each time I haven't woken back up in my room but in recovery where they tell me my oxygen levels
in my blood are low.Lying there an alarm kept going off and a nurse jovially said "can you please breath"
I thought I had been but I think my breathing does get very shallow sometimes.Is there a test that can be
done to test the oxygen levels in my blood as I sometimes feel I am not getting enough?
thank you so much Diane :)

CFS.ME Mum

by CFS.ME Mum on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:43 pm

Re: breathing with ME

A book called "Hyperventilation Syndrome - Breathing Pattern Disorders" by Dinah Bradley might be helpful. It explains how we can subconsciously become shallow breathers where we are breathing more from the chest than the stomach.

montybodkin

by montybodkin on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:52 pm

thank you so much for this.I will order a copy now.It happens when I am asleep and unconscious too (hospital) so its a bit worrying xx

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:57 pm

There are a number of possible reasons why people with ME/CFS sometimes report breathing problems

This spectrum covers anxiety and hyperventilation (overbreathing) right through to factors involved in sleep apnoea

There is also the possibility that there may be a co-existent lung disease present that has not been recognised - asthma for example can present in several different ways

So this is something that needs to be discussed with a doctor - who can arrange for respiratory function tests (peak flow, chest X ray etc) as appropriate

There have now been some research studies carried out into repiratory function in ME/CFS - these are summarised and referenced in the MEA booklet: ME/CFS/PVFS - An Exploration of the Key Clinical Issues
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

montybodkin

by montybodkin on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:23 pm

Thank you very much Dr Shepherd!I do have asthma but it isn't too bad and mainly affecting my windpipe when I have a cold.I need to find a new dr as my present one has let me down for many
years not offering help for cfs and just telling me im depressed when im not.left me on seroxat for 14 years and when I wanted to come off took me off too quickly.I eventually got out of him that there was am ME clinic but his words "I don't think you would want to go there" I did and I have and could have gone 9 years previously I found out

dalesearch

by dalesearch on Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:48 pm

Hello,
Yesterday I was told I had respiratory alkalosis, so too little carbon dioxide on exertion. Can I just re-train myself to breathe more slowly and deeply and would this solve the problem?

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:17 pm

This is something that you really need to discuss with the (? chest) physician who is looking after your
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

7 posts