Electric Shocks

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
katiejayne

by katiejayne on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:18 pm

Electric Shocks

I have had M.E. for four years and suffer with electric shock sensations in my stomach and chest. They seem to come on very suddenly and they stay with me for several hours before they start to subside. When they occur (without warning at any time of day or night) they take my breath away, I struggle to get enough air in my lungs and I feel very dizzy and faint. My doctor suggests it is acid reflux (as also accompanied by stomach upsets) and as such I have been taking gaviscon four times a day every day for two weeks to no avail. I also have asthma and I take amitriptyline, diazepam (for muscular spasms), citalopram, paracetamol, meptid and topiramate (just started this).

I have also recently been told to stop medications I had been taking regularly for some time (neurofen, co-dydramol, pregabalin and gabapentin) and wonder if I am withdrawing.

Now trying a TENS machine, but as yet no improvement.

happyturtle

by happyturtle on Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:18 pm

Re: Electric Shocks

Did you drop all those medications at one time? That seems like it would cause all sorts of bad stuff.

katiejayne

by katiejayne on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:17 pm

Re: Electric Shocks

Not all at once but all very recently. The gabapentin about 6 weeks ago because they didn't work, the pregabalin 3 weeks ago as they gave me terrible migraines (both reduced very gradually before stopping) and the co-dydramol and neurofen about a fortnight ago - the doctors told me to stop them immediately as they thought they were giving me stomach problems. The downside is the co-dydramol was the only thing that helped with the flu-like aches and they are now terrible without.

3 posts