PIP

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

12 posts
Housemouse

by Housemouse on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:41 pm

PIP

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what happens to people who lose DLA but don't qualify for PIP and are too ill to work please?

I have had 4 medicals for DLA over recent years, 3 of which had to go to Tribunal and each time I have had a relapse and never regained the ground I have lost - I get 'pushed' beyond my physical/intellectual/emotional limits, end up in relapse, and basically end up undoing all the good the nhs has done for me and my GP picks up the 'pieces' and I shall always be grateful to Dr. Shepherd for the information he gave me regarding how to manage relapses.

The last Tribunal - although 'successful' - completely wrecked me - particularly mentally and I have been on extra anti depressants etc. ever since (about 3 years) . My DLA award runs out this year, and I am absolutely too scared stiff to go through the PIP process - I just know in my heart that I won't be able to cope with it either physically or in particular mentally now. Will people in my position have nothing to live on or is there some alternative please?

Thank you

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:44 pm

Re: PIP

The MEA is actively involved with discussions at the DWP on all aspects of benefits

This includes PIP (Personal Independence Payment) and we have a new MEA information leaflet that covers all aspects of PIP as it applies to ME/CFS - including the changeover from DLA to PIP

You say you have a fixed award that runs out later in the year - so you will be reassessed for PIP using the new tougher PIP eligibility criteria

My gut feeling is that some (but not all) people with ME/CFS are going to find it harder to get a PIP award than was the case when claiming DLA. But feedback is still at a very early stage

If your claim is refused you can still appeal - as with DLA. And I know how stressful it is to do so

Sorry, but I can only be of limited help here....
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

Sarah Lawrence

by Sarah Lawrence on Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:22 am

Unfortunately PIP is the replacement benefit for DLA so in those terms there is no alternative but to apply for PIP. Employment and Support Allowance is the benefit for people that are not able to work and DLA/PIP are designed to cover the extra costs that arise from being disabled or having a long term illness.

The DWP will write to you to see if you want to make a claim for PIP and this is a very worrying time for people. You have clearly had many problems with getting your benefits in the past, as have many other people with M.E.. When you are ill the claims process can be difficult and overwhelming.

I agree with Dr Shepherds comments and would add that being as informed as possible may help you to make a successful claim. Disability Rights UK have published a helpful guide to making a PIP claim http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/perso ... ayment-pip and Action For M.E's guide is currently being revised.

Perhaps you could get help from your local CAB or other organisation offering welfare rights advice to actually fill in the form. If your G.P or consultant is willing to write a letter to support you this can also help.

I wish you all the best with this.
Sarah Lawrence
Action for M.E. Welfare Rights Officer

Housemouse

by Housemouse on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:30 pm

Hello,

Thank you both very much for your replies.

I had a super Welfare Officer who worked with me last time and very kindly came to the Tribunal with me too - unfortunately the Tribunal would not allow him to speak, or allow me to consult my daily diary, brain fog overwhelmed me and I could hardly remember anything long story - but to be brief - and to be fair - following an official complaint about the HCP who carried out two of the examinations - I was re-examined by another Doctor who was efficient, honest and treated me as a human being - but by then I was a complete wreck emotionally - I absolutely cannot go through anything similar again.

Sorry, I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly, - does it mean that if I don't apply for PIP - that the alternative is to apply for ESA ? I'm housebound most of the time and have lost my confidence so I don't feel able to approach outside agencies. I guess there is no alternative to PIP or ESA?

Thank you again for the Clinic, it's very helpful in very many ways

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:39 pm

ESA is essentially a state benefit for people who are unable to work due to ill health and/or disability and have made the necessary financial contributions and have a work record

PIP is essentially a benefit that is there to help with the cost of mobility and care needs (hence the two components). It is not work related and can be paid if you are still in work
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

Housemouse

by Housemouse on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:12 pm

Thank you Dr. Shepherd - I have worked all my life pre M.E. until the last few years when I had to gradually reduce to very part time hours and had to stop completely a few years ago (with a brief 'patch' of therapeutic work then had another relapse) so maybe ESA will be possible. Thank you again for your advice

goblinff

by goblinff on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:09 pm

I know we're not supposed to be answering questions, but I've only just found out that it's not just Citizens Advice Bureau but also there should be a Benefits & Finance Advisor (who will have been part of the local council but probably now is part of social services under the NHS), who can help with PIP and ESA (until recently I was all confused about this too).

I have been advised to look at the Action for ME and the MEAssociation websites and get hold of their guides for both of these Benefits, as the parameters don't fit well for fluctuating conditions. ie get help to fill in the forms.

Housemouse

by Housemouse on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:44 pm

Thank you for the info goblinff. Best Wishes

Housemouse

by Housemouse on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:15 pm

Thank you for the link Dr. Miller - I may untinentially sound flippant - but it finally dawned on me at my 2nd or third Tribunal - that people really need to be 'well' and not 'ill' to go through the medicals etc., tce,. (And that was before the recent changes). I'm very grateful to nhs and the Panel for all the helpful information and advice. Reading other peoples questions and answers has helped answer mine even before I asked questions. Best Wishes.

12 posts