dr's that don't believe :(

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
Karen Little

by Karen Little on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:52 pm

dr's that don't believe :(

Hi, My name is Karen and i have had Fibromyalgia and M.E officially since 2011 confirmed by Dr Spikett Consultant at the R.V.I Hospital Newcastle who told me i had probably had the illness as far back as 2000.
my own Dr said he thought i might have fibromyalgia that was 3 yrs after i became ill at work in 2003 with an overwhelming feeling of tiredness and aching muscles, it took me 3 yrs to get any sort of diagnosis, after loads of blood tests, thyroid tests and numerous other tests all coming back negative and me thinking i was going mad, as i felt like death but i just kept getting told it was a virus!!!! arrrggghhhh if i here that word once more in my life time it will be to soon!!! after loads of different tablets non that were making me feel any better, infact most of them gave me horrible side effects.
It took me another 5yrs of battling with my Dr's to get them to send me to see a consultant, I was finally referred to see Dr Spickett.
All in all I have had this illness now 13 yrs and it hasn't got any easier finding a Dr who believes in it, or recognize that M.E / Fibro and C.F.S is a proper illness, I feel let down by the people who are supposed to be trained and studied medicine and patient care, they would not disregard someone with M.S. or Cancer so why my illness, if these dr's are not willing to study and learn about new illnesses then i don't think they should be a Dr!
My illness is getting worse as the yrs go by and i can't see no end to the constant pain and overwhelming fatigue, and every day/week i am finding that i am doing less and less every day things because of the pain, but it's a waste of time going to my Dr's as all they want to do is pump me full of tablets that make me worse, it a case of here take these go away and don't bother me with your trivial pains!!!
I am getting more and more depressed, i am in agonising pain in my hips and legs, my sleep is erratic, and i'm at the end of my teather :( where do i turn to for help?
yours sincerely
Karen Little

SarahTaylor

by SarahTaylor on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:06 am

Re: dr's that don't believe :(

My friend is a member of BACME and found it's very biased towards the CBT model. She has a Masters in Psychology and she disagrees with it.

damsongardendesign

by damsongardendesign on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:38 am

It's reassuring that the immunologist took on board your symptoms and I would say its a small victory that one person believed you as you have and I have found its blamed on individual problems which wastes time . I saw the very same consultant who blamed my psoriasis and joint problem associated whith my skin disorder but we are intelligent enough to recognisethe differences. You have a diagnosis - brill ! A referral to CFS in Sunderland royal will be helpful as I thought I paced myself but I didn't when I did a daily chart with the help of the team there so I found the CFS team helpful. No real hope of getting rid of it but there CBT helped me immensely even though the Dr. Spicket did not fully understand the difference in my CFS symptoms and the lack of problems with my other auto immune disorder ( skin & joints). Good luck and pace yourself if you dont allready :D ask to see CFS in Sunderland royal hospital and hopefully your bad days will become much less as mine has :D apparently I can't have CFS as I have the skin and joint issue :o so you are half way there.

Laurellen

by Laurellen on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:35 am

SarahTaylor wrote:My friend is a member of BACME and found it's very biased towards the CBT model. She has a Masters in Psychology and she disagrees with it.
Sadly, there does seem to be a tolerance within BACME for misleading claims about the value of psychological interventions for CFS. It is an organisation for those making money from CFS, not for patients.

5 posts