Worsening symptoms during periods

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
allibobs

by allibobs on Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:16 pm

Worsening symptoms during periods

Hello everyone,
I have only recently been diagnosed with ME/CFS and I am still learning more about the condition and how to manage it. Over the last few months my symptoms have significantly deteriorated just before and during my period. I was wondering if this is common and what might help. I am not currently on any kind of contraceptive pill.
Thanks for any responses.
A x

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:13 pm

Re: Worsening symptoms during periods

There are a number of options for dealing with exacerbations of symptoms at period time - as you say, the use of an oral contraceptive is one of them

This is something that you need to discuss with your GP - who could refer you to a gynaecologist if it was felt to be necessary

There hasn't been very much research done on female hormones and ME/CFS but there is one report that has been published: Studd J and Panay, Lancet, 1996, 348, 1384 that you could refer your doctor to
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

allibobs

by allibobs on Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:04 pm

Thanks for your response Dr Shepherd. I will certainly look into it with my GP.
A

Neuroimmune Alliance

by Neuroimmune Alliance on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:16 pm

Yep. My period kill me and not softly, each month.

I start getting symptoms around 5 days before my pill finishes, like every ME symptom is exacerbated times ten, I go gray, my BP drops and I cannot move and I ache and ache all over. The actual period itself is agonising. I suspect my hormones may be up the shoot, my testosterone levels are low as are my growth hormones and other things.

I am seeing someone to get the lining of my womb lasered so I never bleed again. Bring it on :D

4 posts