cfs/ME and anxiety with severe nausea

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
sharon_learoyd

by sharon_learoyd on Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:25 pm

cfs/ME and anxiety with severe nausea

For the past few weeks I have been suffering from such severe nausea it has become disabling. I have also just done ( don`t know how) a long haul trip back from the UK to New Zealand and since then have also begun to suffer from crippling anxiety and high blood pressure. im assuming its a very bad relapse. Anti depressants etc do not agree as Im sensitive to lots of meds. My GP is stumped. Ive jst tried a beta blocker but that worsened the fatigue. im at my wits end as Ive now become so exhausted with it all. Any help would be appreciated.

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:45 pm

Re: cfs/ME and anxiety with severe nausea

Sharon

Although nausea (feeling sick) is a recognised symptom of ME/CFS, and it can sometimes be continuous/severe, persistent nausea should not be automatically attributed to ME/CFS until other possible explanations have been considered and excluded

This assessment should involve your GP taking a proper history, examining you and probably arranging some blood treats. Assessment might also include referral to a hospital gastroenterologist if it seems that there may be a problem involving gastric motility (= the way that food is propelled down the gastrointestinal tract) and there has been research into this aspect of ME/CFS

There are also a number of treatment options - drug and non drug - that you could discuss with your GP.

Non drug treatments that can help nausea include the use of ginger and an acupressure band that is applied to the wrist

The MEA booklet 'ME/CFS/PVFS - An Exploration of the Key Clinical Issues' covers the assessment of nausea and the treatment options I refer to

MEA website: http://www.meassociation.org.uk
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:47 pm

Re: cfs/ME and anxiety with severe nausea

Results from a research study that looked at gastric motility in ME/CFS:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15619332
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

3 posts