CFS

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
damsongardendesign

by damsongardendesign on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:56 am

CFS

Having difficulty to have my CFS symptoms diagnosed. As I have an underlying auto immune disorder it appears I can NOT have CFS . I have had psoriasis & psoriatic atrophy ( skin & joint trouble) since a child and did NOT have ANY of the CFS symptoms until 13 years ago and I am in my mid 40s.
It is most frustrating as my life has changed considerably and yet they immunologist refuses to look at the whole picture. Yes I am aware you may have tiredness with joint problems but my extreme fatigue is life changing and in excess of any issues with joints. I do not want to spend my life being sent to a consultant for each of my symptoms I would like doctors to communicate with each other and except the possibility I may have CFS.
My symptoms are Chronic pain, extreme fatigue, poor memory and concentration, sleep problems, persistent sore throats and gland, headaches, muscle weakness, palpitations, low blood pressure and postural hypotension, ibs, blurred vision, alcohol intolerance.
A clear diagnosis would help me as I will not have to spend years seeing consultants for each symptom I have no life its spent seeing doctors who can not find a cause for any of my symptoms, most recently a sore throat and enlarged glands lasting 8 months and no further forward. I just want a yes it is CFS and I can explain to people when I'm in a shop and forget what to say or are to exhausted to speak why I'm like that and not some odd person. Can you suggest a private consultant in the north east ?

damsongardendesign

by damsongardendesign on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:49 am

psoriasis- Then u can't have CFS. !

Existing auto immune disorder? Apparently I can not have CFS. Having psoriasis and arthritis means my CFS symptoms are not really considered to be in excess of possible tiredness associated with joint problems despite NOT suffering with extreme fatigue and long list of CFS symptoms prior to 13 years ago ? See my first post and question .

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:05 am

Re: CFS

Firstly, ME/CFS can co-exist with any other medical (or psychiatric) condition - including psoriasis and autoimmune conditions

Secondly, there is evidence to indicate that in at least a sub-group of people with ME/CFS there is an autoimmune component to the underlying disease process. This may help to explain why the drug Rituximab has been found to be an effective form of treatment for some people in one small clinical trial.

Thirdly, you could ask your GP if you could be referred to a hospital based ME/CFS clinic where an accurate opinion on diagnosis could be obtained

There are some very good physicians in North East England dealing with this illness

Contact details for all UK NHS services can be found on the MEA website: http://www.meassociation.org.uk

NB: Autoimmune disease = a disease where the body produces harmful antibodies (= autoantibodies) that damage body tissues
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

3 posts