Explaining CFS/ME to people?

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
ChrisofCabra

by ChrisofCabra on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:18 am

Explaining CFS/ME to people?

This can be far from easy, and "But you don't look ill " is a frustrating comment, to put it mildly.

Does anyone have preferred methods or suggestions for communicating the key features of CFS/ME to people who don't "get it" and not infrequently have wrong ideas firmly lodged in place?

"The Spoon Theory" is often recommended, and I have had some success with a visual aid, made when I was not so affected, but other ideas analogies or illustrations would be much appreciated.

If felt useful, this picture may be copied.
http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu17 ... s2text.jpg

Chris.

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:30 am

Re: Explaining CFS/ME to people?

Thanks Chris

Good idea!

I often use the link to a flat (Duracell) battery when explaining the problem with exercise induced muscle fatigue and muscle mitochondrial dysfunction (the flat battery) to both doctors and people with ME/CFS.

Would it be possible to add ME (as well as CFS) to your poster?

And maybe you could also add a brief scientific explanation as to why people with ME/CFS have muscle batteries that quickly go flat and don't recharge very quickly?
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

ChrisofCabra

by ChrisofCabra on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:14 am

Re: Explaining CFS/ME to people?

Thank you.

I only had it in mind as a postcard: I know one or two friends carry it that size or little smaller, laminated.

If I post a link to the picture without text, people could choose and add their own. H/w:
http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu17 ... n/cfs2.jpg

I considered using ( CFS/ME ) but that didn't seem so attention-demanding and adding Myalgic Encephalomyelitis did make it look a bit crowded at the size I had in mind.
Let me have a rest and a think and I'll see if can come up with something.

Chris.

"And maybe you could also add a brief scientific explanation as to why people with ME/CFS have muscle batteries that quickly go flat and don't recharge very quickly?"

Do we know for sure?
"Is that the cycle repair shop? I've got a Krebs cycle that doesn't work.properly."

I'm afraid I don't buy into "my perception of fatigue has increased so I don't like doing much."
(Whoah, controversy!)

3 posts