Mitochondrial Function

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
SummerSun

by SummerSun on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:41 am

Mitochondrial Function

I know this test isn't done for M.E patients but I had mine tested and it came back very abnormal. Is this something in the future that will be researched? And if a patient came to you with mitochondrial function tests which were abnormal would you recommend any medication or supplements?

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:55 am

Re: Mitochondrial Function

The MEA has been involved with, or funded, a number of research studies into mitochondrial dysfunction in ME/CFS

We are currently funding (with the Medical Research Council) a further study at the University of Liverpool with Professor Anne McArdle - see Research section in the July MEA BoT summary on the MEA website

There are a number of tests - using blood, biopsies (samples of skeletal muscle) and magnetic resonance spectroscopy - that can provide very useful information about muscle (and muscle mitochondria) function and structure.

These are the 'Gold Standard' tests that are used in the NHS

There are also some expensive tests available in the private sector - but their value remains uncertain in the absence of proper confirmation from independent validation studies. So I do not endorse or recommend them.

At present, there is no effective drug or supplement that can be recommended for the type of muscle abnormalities that have been found in ME/CFS - this forms part of the research we are funding in Liverpool

Research into mitochondrial dysfunction is summarised, along with all the relevant research papers, in the Muscle section of the Research section in the MEA booklet: ME/CFS/PVFS - An Exploration of the Key Clinical Issues

MEA website and pdf literature order form: http://www.meassociation.org.uk
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

2 posts